Southern Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
The day before:
- In a large skillet heat the 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook about 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Transfer chicken to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- Rinse and dry skillet. In the skillet combine flour and the 1/3 cup oil. Cook and stir over medium heat about 15 minutes or until a reddish-brown roux forms. Transfer roux to a storage container; cover and chill overnight. In another storage container combine onion, celery, sweet pepper, Cajun seasoning, and garlic; cover and chill overnight.
- Tote chicken, roux, vegetable mixture, sausage, cooked rice, okra, and, if desired, green onions in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, stack two 13 1/2x9 1/2x3-inch disposable foil pans together to form one pan. Transfer roux to the pan. Prepare grill. For a charcoal grill, reheat roux in pan on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals until bubbly. Add vegetable mixture to roux; grill about 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Gradually stir broth and the water into vegetable mixture; stir in okra. Bring to boiling. Stir in chicken, sausage, and cooked rice; return to boiling. Cook and stir until desired consistency. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place roux in pan on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Remove pan from grill by sliding it onto a flat baking sheet. Sprinkle each serving with green onions and, if desired, serve with hot pepper sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
If you use a salt-free Cajun seasoning, add 1/2 teaspoon salt.
If you can't find cut okra, buy whole okra; thaw it slightly and slice.
Insulated cooler with ice packs
Two 13 1/2x9 1/2x3-inch disposable foil pans
Flat baking sheet
Nutrition Facts (Southern Chicken and Sausage Gumbo)
- Per serving:
- 605 kcal ,
- 37 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 7 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 19 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 96 mg chol. ,
- 947 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 32 g pro.