- Preheat oven to 350F. Split squash in half lengthwise. With spoon, scrape out seeds and fibers from cavity. Season cut side of squash with 1 tsp. salt; place flesh side down in a lightly buttered baking dish or a 15x10x1-inch baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Add in 1/2 cup water to baking pan. Bake 1 to 1-1/2 hours, until skin is browned and flesh is tender when pierced with knife. Remove from oven; let rest until cool enough to handle. Scoop out flesh; discard skin.
- In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat butter until melted. Add sliced leeks and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle oregano over leeks. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the leeks are tender.
- Add squash. Season with additional salt and pepper. Cooking 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add broth; bring to simmer. Simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste. Cool slightly. Puree soup, one half at a time, in blender or food processor.
- Rinse pot; dry. Return soup to pot; bring to simmer. Stir in half and half and/or nutmeg, if desired; heat through. Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper as needed.
From the Test Kitchen
The soup may be made 2 days in advance and gently reheated before serving.
To reheat soup:
To reheat soup: Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through.
Nutrition Facts (Squash Soup)
- Per serving:
- 124 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 10 mg chol. ,
- 352 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.