Red Pepper Soup
For Lemon Sour Cream:
- Stir together the 1/4 cup dairy sour cream, the lemon peel, lemon juice, and hot pepper sauce in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot margarine or butter until tender. Add peppers; cover and cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until peppers are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato, liqueur or anise seed, herbes de Provence or fine herbes, and paprika. Add broth; bring to boiling. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Pour the soup into a blender container or food processor bowl (half at a time, if necessary). Cover and blend or process until smooth; return mixture to saucepan. Stir in the 1/4 cup sour cream; heat through, but do not boil.
- To serve, spoon into soup bowls. Top each serving with about 1 tablespoon of Lemon Sour Cream; draw a knife through the cream to swirl. Garnish with additional lemon peel and tarragon sprigs, if desired. Makes 4 appetizer servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and blend soup, but do not add sour cream. Transfer soup to a storage container. Cover, cook, and chill up to 24 hours. Before serving, transfer soup to a saucepan; bring to boiling. Remove from heat; add the sour cream. Serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Red Pepper Soup)
- Per serving:
- 150 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 20 mg chol. ,
- 343 mg sodium ,
- 11 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 4 g pro.