Pumpkin-Pear Bisque with Creme Fraiche
- Cook leeks and onion in hot margarine or butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until tender. Stir in flour. Carefully add chicken broth all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in pumpkin, vanilla bean (if using), salt, pepper, and the 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Return to boiling. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Remove vanilla bean; discard. Add Poached Pear halves and pear liquid to pan.
- Process mixture in three or four batches in a food processor bowl or blender container until smooth. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir in half-and-half, light cream, or milk, and vanilla extract, if using. Heat through, but do not boil.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top with a spoonful of Creme Fraiche; sprinkle with additional nutmeg, if desired. Makes 6 side-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Refrigerate Creme Fraiche, covered, up to 1 week and bisque up to 2 days. Heat bisque through to serve.
- Stir whipping cream and sour cream together in a mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Let stand at room temperature for 2 to 5 hours or until mixture thickens. Cover and chill in refrigerator at least 2 hours. Stir before serving. Makes 1/2 cup.
- Bring sweet white wine, water, sugar, and star anise to boiling in a large skillet. Add pears; return to boiling. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until pears are tender. Remove pears from skillet with a slotted spoon. Bring liquid in skillet to boiling; cook, uncovered, about 8 minutes or until reduced to 1-1/3 cups. Remove star anise. Makes 12 pear halves.
Nutrition Facts (Pumpkin-Pear Bisque with Creme Fraiche)
- Per serving:
- 293 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 26 mg chol. ,
- 679 mg sodium ,
- 35 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 6 g pro.