Ham and Bean Soup
- Rinse beans. In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine beans and 4 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or, place beans in water in Dutch oven. Cover and let soak in a cool place for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.) Drain and rinse beans; set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven brown pork hocks on all sides in hot butter over medium heat. Add celery and onion to Dutch oven. Cook and stir until softened. Stir in beans, thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and 4 cups fresh water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Remove pork hocks. When cool enough to handle, cut meat off bones; coarsely chop meat. Discard bones and bay leaf. Slightly mash beans in saucepan.
- Stir in chopped meat; heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
From the Test Kitchen
Easy Ham and Bean Soup:
Prepare as above, except omit dry navy beans,ham hocks, and water. Cook onion and celery in butter as directed in Step 2. Add 4 cups chicken broth, 1 cup cubed cooked ham (5 ounces), and two 15-ounce cans navy beans, rinsed and drained, along with thyme, black pepper, and bay leaf. Omit salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through. Makes 5 servings (7 cups).
Per 1 1/3 cups: 315 cal., 6 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 25 mg chol., 2,023 mg sodium, 46 g carbo., 11 g dietary fiber, 21 g protein. Daily Values: 6% vit. A, 10% vit. C, 12% calcium, 22% iron. Exchanges: 1/2 Vegetable, 3 Starch, 1 1/2 Lean Meat
Ham and Vegetable Bean Soup:
Prepare as above, except after slightly mashing beans, stir in 2 cups sliced carrot and 2 cups sliced parsnip or chopped, peeled rutabaga. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes more or until vegetables are tender. Stir in chopped meat; heat through. Makes 5 servings (8 cups).
Per 1 1/2 cups: 277 cal., 5 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 21 mg chol., 531 mg sodium, 45 g carbo., 15 g dietary fiber, 16 g protein. Daily Values: 111% vit. A, 17% vit. C, 12% calcium, 16% iron. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Vegetable, 2 Starch, 1 Lean Meat
Nutrition Facts (Ham and Bean Soup)
- Per serving:
- 217 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 21 mg chol. ,
- 492 mg sodium ,
- 30 g carb. ,
- 11 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 15 g pro.