- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over the water; let stand 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the next 7 Soup ingredients (through Chinese rice wine). Bring to just a boil and add gelatin mixture, stirring constantly until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat; strain soup through a sieve into a 2-quart baking dish. Discard solids. Cover and chill until set, about 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl sift flour for Dough. Slowly add hot water to the flour, whisking constantly with a fork or chop sticks until dough starts to come together. It will look shaggy. Cover and let stand 20 minutes. Add oil and mix until dough comes together to form a ball. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth. Return dough to bowl. Cover and let stand 1 hour.
- In a small bowl combine all Dipping Sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Scrape and mash soup mixture with a fork until finely shredded. In a large bowl mix all of the Filling ingredients until just combined. Fold in soup mixture.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces. Working with 1 piece at a time (while the other 3 remain covered), roll dough into a 12-inch rope and cut each rope into 12 pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a 4-inch round. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of filling in the center of the dough round. Gently pull and stretch the wrapper edge outward and bring it back in to create a pleat. Pinch to seal. Work around the filling, leaving a small hole in the top. Pinch edges together over the filling and gently twist to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling, keeping the finished dumplings covered.
- Place several large cabbage leaves on the bottom of a steamer basket leaving about a 1-inch border from the sides, coat cabbage with nonstick cooking spray. Add about 6 dumplings at a time, leaving plenty of space between them. Cover and steam 8 to 9 minutes or until filling is cooked through. Serve immediately with Dipping Sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
Make all dumplings and arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover and freeze completely. Transfer dumplings to a re-sealable plastic freezer bag and steam as directed straight from the freezer for 10-12 minutes or until filling is cooked through.
Nutrition Facts (Soup Dumplings)
- Per serving:
- 263 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 27 mg chol. ,
- 742 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 12 g pro.