Sopa de Pepitas (Pumpkin Seed Soup)
- In a small bowl combine 2 cups of the broth and the pumpkin seeds. Cover and chill 12 to 24 hours (do not drain).
- Heat a dry griddle or skillet over medium heat. Add chile peppers; toast 3 minutes or until fragrant and slightly darkened, turning frequently.
- In a medium saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add salt and coriander; cook and stir 30 seconds more.
- In a blender or food processor combine pumpkin seeds with soaking liquid, chile peppers, onion mixture, remaining 2 cups broth, and half of the beans. Cover and blend or process 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth. Return to saucepan; stir in remaining beans. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 15 to 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Serve soup with cilantro and/or additional toasted pumpkin seeds.
From the Test Kitchen
Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
Nutrition Facts (Sopa de Pepitas (Pumpkin Seed Soup))
- Per serving:
- 335 kcal ,
- 21 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 9 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 1121 mg sodium ,
- 25 g carb. ,
- 9 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 20 g pro.