Snowy Trees Sugar Cookie
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Set aside a small portion (about 1/4) of the dough for the stars; tint remaining dough with desired amount of green food coloring.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one dough portion at a time to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using 2-inch, 3-inch, and 4-inch triangle-shape cookie cutters, cut green dough into an equal number of 2-, 3-, and 4-inch triangles. For each tree, overlap a triangle of each size on top of a wooden craft stick on cookie sheet.
- Using a 1-inch star cookie cutter, cut a star from plain dough for each tree. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are very light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- Spread a side of each tree with glaze-consistency white Royal Icing to resemble blown snow; sprinkle icing with white edible glitter. Use icing to attach stars to trees.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar. Add the water and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined; beat on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until icing is very stiff. If not using right away, cover bowl with a damp paper towel and cover paper towel with plastic wrap; chill for up to 48 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
Meringue powder is a mixture of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, and edible gums. Look for it in the baking aisle of your supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Nutrition Facts (Snowy Trees Sugar Cookie)
- Per serving:
- 74 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 49 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.