- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over the edges of the pan. Lightly coat the foil with cooking spray. Place cookies in a food processor. Cover and process until very finely chopped. In a medium bowl combine cookie crumbs and 1/3 cup melted butter. Firmly press crumb mixture into the prepared pan. Bake 12 minutes or until set. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- For the nougat, in a medium saucepan combine sugar, 1/3 cup butter, and 1/2 cup of the evaporated milk. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in marshmallow creme and peanut butter. Stir in the chopped peanuts. Pour nougat over crust in the baking pan. Carefully spread evenly to edges. Place pan in freezer for 20 minutes while preparing caramel layer.
- For caramel layer, place caramels and the remaining evaporated milk (about 2 Tbsp.) in a medium bowl. Microwave 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until caramels are melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Pour caramel mixture evenly over nougat layer in pan, carefully spreading to edges. Return pan to freezer for 10 to 15 minutes while preparing last layer.
- In a small bowl microwave chocolate pieces 1 minute or until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Pour chocolate mixture over caramel layer. Spread evenly to edges. Cover and chill 2 hours or until firm. Use edges of foil to lift uncut bars out of pan. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut into bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer bars between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Snickerooni Bars)
- Per serving:
- 154 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 7 mg chol. ,
- 86 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 14 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.
jjg66 230 Days Ago
Do not waste your time on these bars. I spent much of yesterday morning following the directions to a tee. Crumbled the sandwich cookies in the Cuisinart, added the butter and baked the crumb mixture for the specified time. The nougat layer took a long time to make and STIR. The caramel layer solidified too quickly as it was being spread on the nougat layer and would not spread properly. The only easy layer was the final one of the chocolate. Refrigerated for over two hours -- went to slice into small pieces -- the baked crumb mixture broke off into tiny pieces and the caramel layer was too hard plus they tasted much too SUGARY. What a mess! I had thought these would be good for a bake sale I was contributing to but instead they will be going in the trash can!