- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1-1/2 cups sugar, the baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl combine the 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon. Shape dough into 1-1/4-inch balls. Roll balls in cinnamon-sugar to coat. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, except stir 1 cup toffee pieces and 1/2 cup chopped pecans into the dough before chilling.
Per cookie: 126 cal., 6 g total fat (3 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat), 22 mg chol., 89 mg sodium, 16 g carbo., 0 g fiber, 1 g pro. Exchanges: 1 Other Carbo., 1 Fat
Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookies:
Prepare as directed, except omit cinnamon and roll balls in 1/4 cup sugar.
Per cookie: 94 cal., 4 g total fat (3 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat), 19 mg chol., 69 mg sodium, 13 g carbo., 0 g fiber, 1 g pro.
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Snickerdoodles)
- Per serving:
- 94 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 19 mg chol. ,
- 69 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.