- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl combine flour, 3 Tbsp. of the sugar, vanilla bean seeds, and 1/4 tsp. of the cinnamon. Add butter. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling together. Form the mixture into a ball and knead until smooth.
- In a small bowl combine remaining 3 Tbsp. sugar and the remaining 1/4 tsp. cinnamon. On an ungreased cookie sheet pat or roll the dough into an 8-inch circle. If desired, make a scalloped edge. Brush lightly with milk. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon-sugar. Cut into 16 wedges (do not separate wedges).**
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or just until bottom starts to brown and center is set. While warm, cut circle into wedges again. Cool on cookie sheet 5 minutes. Remove; cool on wire rack.
From the Test Kitchen
If using vanilla extract, drizzle over shortbread dough just before kneading.
To make different shortbread shapes, on a lightly floured surface roll or pat dough until 1/2 inch thick. Use cookie cutters or a knife to cut desired shapes. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
Prepare as directed, except substitute packed brown sugar for the granulated sugar. After cutting in butter, stir in 2 Tbsp. finely chopped pecans. Press a pecan half into each wedge before baking.
Per serving: same as above except 121 cal., 7 g fat, 47 mg sodium,13 g carb., 1 g fiber, 1% calcium
Place shortbread in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Snickerdoodle Shortbread)
- Per serving:
- 106 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 46 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.