Smoked Salmon, Fruit, and Nut Dip
- At least 1 hour before smoke cooking, soak wood chunks in enough water to cover. Drain.
- Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels. In a small bowl combine brown sugar, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle mixture over salmon; rub in with your fingers.
- In a smoker grease grill rack; arrange preheated coals, drained wood chunks, and water pan according to the manufacturer's directions. Pour water into pan. Place fish on grill rack over water pan. Cover; smoke for 45 to 60 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Add additional coals and water as needed to maintain temperature and moisture.
- When cool enough to handle, remove skin from salmon. Flake fish. (You should have about 2 cups.)
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard, and maple syrup. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until smooth. Fold in salmon, apple, cherries, pecans, and red onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with crackers.
From the Test Kitchen
*TO TOAST NUTS:
To toast nuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown, watching carefully and shaking once or twice.
Nutrition Facts (Smoked Salmon, Fruit, and Nut Dip )
- Per serving:
- 76 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 16 mg chol. ,
- 68 mg sodium ,
- 4 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.