Smoked Cheddar and Jalapeno-Stuffed Brats
- In a large saucepan, cook brats in enough boiling water to cover for 10 minutes. Drain. Cool slightly. On a long side of each bratwurst, make a lengthwise slit almost to, but not through, the opposite side. In a food processor, combine cheese, mayonnaise, and chile peppers. Cover and process just until combined. Spoon some of the cheese mixture into each slit.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Place the bratwursts, stuffed sides up, on the grill rack over the pan. Cover and grill for 10 to 15 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted from one end into the center of each bratwurst registers 160 degrees F. Toast hoagie buns on the grill.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together shredded cabbage, sour cream, salsa, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Serve bratwursts in buns. Spoon cabbage mixture over bratwursts.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Smoked Cheddar and Jalapeno-Stuffed Brats)
- Per serving:
- 708 kcal ,
- 40 g fat
- (19 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 89 mg chol. ,
- 1661 mg sodium ,
- 57 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 13 g sugar ,
- 31 g pro.