Slow Cooker Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Line bottom of a 13x9-inch (3 1/2-qt.) casserole slow cooker or a 6-qt. oval slow cooker with parchment paper, extending paper halfway up sides. In a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in 6 Tbsp. butter until pea size. Stir in half-and-half and pumpkin.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 10 to 15 strokes or until smooth. Roll dough into a 15x10-inch rectangle; spread with 1/3 cup butter. For filling, in a small bowl combine next four ingredients (through pumpkin pie spice); sprinkle over dough. Roll up rectangle, starting from a short side; seal seam. Cut into 10 slices.
- Arrange rolls, cut sides down, in prepared cooker. Sprinkle with any excess sugar mixture. Cover and cook on high 1 3/4 to 2 hours (185 degrees F), giving crockery liner a half-turn halfway through, if possible. (Tops of rolls will be slightly wet.)
- If possible, remove crockery liner from cooker. Cool rolls, uncovered, 30 minutes. Spread or drizzle with Cream Cheese Icing.
From the Test Kitchen
Salted-Caramel Nut Rolls
Prepare as directed, except add 1/4 cup chopped roasted cashews to the filling. Omit icing. Drizzle with 1/3 cup caramel-flavor ice cream topping and sprinkle with 1/4 cup coarsely chopped roasted cashews and 1/2 tsp. sea salt flakes.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 358 calories, 4 g protein, 45 g carbohydrate, 18 g total fat (10 g sat. fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 21 g total sugar, 9% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 671 mg sodium, 9% calcium, 10% iron
Prepare as directed, except add 1/2 cup dried cranberries and 1 tsp. orange zest to the filling. Stir 1/2 tsp. orange zest into icing and, if necessary, thin with orange juice.
Nutrition analysis per serving: Same as above, except: 383 calories, 53 g carbohydrate, 31 g total sugar, 12% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 9% calcium
Prepare as directed, except use 1 tsp. EACH ground cinnamon and ginger and 1/4 tsp. EACH ground cardamom and allspice in place of the pumpkin pie spice in the filling. Omit icing. In a small bowl dissolve 3/4 tsp. instant espresso coffee powder in 2 Tbsp. milk. Stir in 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Stir in additional milk (2 to 4 Tbsp.) to reach drizzling consistency. Drizzle over rolls.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 361 calories, 3 g protein, 53 g carbohydrate, 15 g total fat (10 g sat. fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 33 g total sugar, 9% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 485 mg sodium, 8% calcium, 8% iron
Cream Cheese Icing
- In a medium bowl beat together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with a mixer on medium until well combined. Add powdered sugar; beat until combined. Stir in milk, if desired, to reach spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Slow Cooker Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 356 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 47 mg chol. ,
- 509 mg sodium ,
- 48 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 27 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.