Slow Cooker Clementine-Mint Shrub
- Remove eight 2-inch strips of zest from clementines; peel and separate fruit into sections. Remove four 2-inch strips of zest and squeeze 1/4 cup juice from limes. In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine clementine zest and sections and lime zest and juice; mash slightly with a potato masher. Stir in the next three ingredients (through sugar).
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Stir in mint. Turn off cooker. If possible, remove crockery liner. Let stand, uncovered, 1 hour. Press mixture into a bowl through a fine-mesh sieve; discard solids. Cover and chill syrup 4 to 24 hours.
- For each drink, pour 3 tablespoons of the syrup into a rocks glass; add ice cubes. Slowly pour in 1/3 cup club soda; stir gently. If desired, serve with additional mint.
From the Test Kitchen
For an alcoholic variation, stir 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) light rum into each drink.
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above except 145 calories
Nutrition Facts (Slow Cooker Clementine-Mint Shrub)
- Per serving:
- 81 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 20 mg sodium ,
- 19 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 17 g sugar ,
- 0 g pro.