Slow Cooker Cinnamon Rolls
- Line the bottom of a 13x9-inch (3 1/2-quart) casserole slow cooker or a 6-quart oval slow cooker with parchment paper, allowing enough excess to go halfway up the sides of the slow cooker. In a large bowl combine the first four ingredients (through baking soda). Using a pastry blender, cut the 6 tablespoons butter into flour mixture until pieces are pea size. Stir in half-and-half.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead gently for 10 to 15 strokes until dough is smooth. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to a 15x10-inch rectangle. Spread 1/3 cup butter over the dough. In a small bowl combine the next four ingredients (through cinnamon). Sprinkle over butter. Roll up in a spiral from a short side. Pinch dough to seal seams. Slice into 10 rolls.
- Arrange rolls, cut sides down, in prepared cooker. Sprinkle any excess sugar mixture over the rolls. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours, giving crockery liner a half-turn halfway through cooking. (Rolls will look a little underdone or wet on top.)
- Remove liner from cooker. Let stand, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Drizzle or spread Cream Cheese Icing over rolls.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, except add 1/3 cup canned pumpkin to the flour mixture, reduce half-and-half to 1/3 cup, and use pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 356 calories, 3 g protein, 48 g carbohydrate, 17 g total fat (11 g sat. fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 27 g total sugar, 36% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 509 mg sodium, 7% calcium, 9% iron
Salted-Caramel Nut Rolls:
Prepare as directed, except add 1/4 cup chopped roasted cashews to the filling. Cover and cook as directed; cool, uncovered, 30 minutes. Omit icing. Drizzle with 1/3 cup caramel-flavor ice cream topping and sprinkle with 1/4 cup coarsely chopped roasted cashews and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 358 calories, 4 g protein, 45 g carbohydrate, 18 g total fat (10 g sat. fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 21 g total sugar, 9% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 671 mg sodium, 9% calcium, 10% iron
Prepare as directed, except add 1/2 cup dried cranberries and 1 teaspoon orange zest to the filling. Stir 1/2 teaspoon orange zest into icing and, if necessary, thin with orange juice.
Nutrition analysis per serving: Same as above, except: 383 calories, 53 g carbohydrate, 31 g total sugar, 12% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 9% calcium
Prepare as directed, except reduce cinnamon to 1 teaspoon in the filling and add 1 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/4 teaspoon EACH ground cardamom and allspice. Omit icing. In a small bowl dissolve 3/4 teaspoon instant espresso coffee powder in 2 tablespoons milk. Stir in 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in additional milk (2 to 4 tablespoons) to reach drizzling consistency. Drizzle over rolls.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 361 calories, 3 g protein, 53 g carbohydrate, 15 g total fat (10 g sat. fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 33 g total sugar, 9% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 485 mg sodium, 8% calcium, 8% iron
For Easy Cleanup:
Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Cream Cheese Icing
- In a medium bowl beat together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with a mixer on medium until well combined. Add powdered sugar; beat until combined. Stir in milk, if desired, to reach spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Slow Cooker Cinnamon Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 364 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 50 mg chol. ,
- 512 mg sodium ,
- 47 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 27 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.