Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine broth, chicken, frozen vegetables, tomatoes, diced chile peppers, and, if desired, cumin.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Before serving, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut tortillas into 1/2-inch strips. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden and crisp; cool.
- Ladle soup into bowls. If desired, top each serving with avocado, sour cream, jalapeno peppers, and/or cilantro. Sprinkle with tortilla strips.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup)
- Per serving:
- 242 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 60 mg chol. ,
- 672 mg sodium ,
- 23 g carb. ,
- 9 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 28 g pro.