Slow Cooker Chestnut-Bacon Stuffing
- Lightly coat a 5- to 6-qt. slow cooker with cooking spray. In a 12-inch skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Add butter to reserved drippings; heat over medium heat. Add mushrooms, leeks, and celery; cook 8 minutes or until tender and liquid is evaporated, stirring frequently. Stir in thyme, fennel seeds, and pepper; cook 1 minute more.
- In an extra-large bowl combine bread cubes, chestnuts, bacon, and mushroom mixture. Drizzle with broth to moisten, tossing lightly to combine. Transfer mixture to prepared cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until heated through.
From the Test Kitchen
To make dried bread cubes, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Cut fresh bread slices into 1-inch cubes. Spread bread cubes in a 15x10-inch baking pan. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until dry, stirring twice; cool. (Bread will continue to dry and crisp as it cools.) Or let bread cubes stand, loosely covered, at room temperature 8 to 12 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Slow Cooker Chestnut-Bacon Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 280 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 29 mg chol. ,
- 518 mg sodium ,
- 25 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.