Slow Cooker Beer Bread
- Coat a 3 1/2- or 4-qt. oval slow cooker with cooking spray. In a large bowl stir together next seven ingredients (through baking soda).
- Add beer all at once to flour mixture; stir just until combined (batter will be sticky). Spoon into prepared cooker; smooth top. Sprinkle with additional oats and/or coarse salt.
- Cover and cook on high 2 1/2 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean, giving crockery liner a half-turn halfway through if possible.
- Turn off cooker. If possible, remove crockery liner from cooker. Remove lid (carefully lift so condensation from lid does not drip onto bread). Cover opening completely with paper towels; replace lid. Cool 10 minutes. Remove bread; cool completely on a wire rack.
From the Test Kitchen
White Cheddar-Mustard Beer Bread
Prepare as directed, except stir 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese and 3 Tbsp. stone-ground mustard into beer before adding to flour mixture.
Per Serving: same as above except 141 calories, 5 g protein, 2 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 1% Vitamin A, 472 mg sodium, 8% calcium
Caraway-Rye Beer Bread
Prepare as directed, except substitute rye flour for 1/2 cup of the whole wheat flour and stir 2 tsp. caraway seeds into flour mixture.
Per Serving: same as above except 125 calories, 3 g fiber, 9% iron
Honey-Thyme Beer Bread
Prepare as directed, except substitute 2 Tbsp. honey for the sugar and stir 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh thyme into flour mixture.
Per Serving: same as above except 130 calories, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g total sugar
Nutrition Facts (Slow Cooker Beer Bread)
- Per serving:
- 123 kcal ,
- 1 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 393 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.