Slow Cooker Banana Bread
- Line a 4-qt. oval slow cooker with parchment paper, then foil. Coat foil with cooking spray. In a large bowl stir together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl combine remaining ingredients. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture; stir just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared cooker (cooker will only be about one-fourth full).
- Cover and cook on high 2 to 2 1/4 hours or until a skewer comes out nearly clean (center may dip slightly). (When removing lid, carefully lift so condensation from lid does not drip onto bread.) Using parchment paper, lift out bread. Cool on a wire rack before removing paper and foil.
From the Test Kitchen
Chocolate-Walnut Banana Bread
Prepare as directed, except fold 1/2 cup each miniature semisweet chocolate pieces and chopped toasted walnuts or pecans into batter. Before serving, drizzle with 2 oz. melted semisweet chocolate.
Per Serving: 319 calories, 4 g protein, 41 g carbohydrates, 17 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 24 g total sugar, 1% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 215 mg sodium. 2% calcium, 9% iron
Chai-Spiced Banana Bread
Prepare as directed, except reduce cinnamon to 1 tsp. and stir 1 tsp. each ground cardamom and ginger and 1/2 tsp. ground allspice into flour mixture. Fold 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots into batter. Before serving, prepare icing: Combine 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 2 tsp. milk, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, and 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom. If needed, stir in enough additional milk to reach drizzling consistency. Spoon over bread.
Per Serving: 274 calories, 3 g protein, 44 g carbohydrate, 10 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 28 g total sugar, 5% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 216 mg sodium, 1% calcium, 7% iron
Pecan-Bourbon Banana Bread
Prepare as directed, except stir 2 Tbsp. bourbon into egg mixture. Combine 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 tsp. ground cinnamon. Spoon half of the batter into cooker; sprinkle with half of the pecan mixture. Top with remaining batter and pecan mixture.
Per Serving: 283 calories, 3 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 13 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 22 g total sugar, 1% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 214 mg sodium, 1% calcium, 6% iron
Nutrition Facts (Slow Cooker Banana Bread)
- Per serving:
- 230 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 31 mg chol. ,
- 214 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 18 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.