Slow-Cooked Pork Carnitas
- In a bowl combine the first eight ingredients (through cayenne pepper). Sprinkle half of the spice mixture all over the pork pieces; rub in with your fingers. Place roast pieces in a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. Add water to cooker. Cover and cook on low 9 to 10 hours or on high 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meat from slow cooker. Using two forks, coarsely shred meat; discard any fat. In a bowl toss together meat, remaining spice mixture, and the onion.
- Spoon meat mixture evenly onto lettuce leaves. Top with salsa. Roll leaves up around filling. If desired, serve with lime wedges and/or cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
For crisp carnitas, in a large skillet heat 1/3 cup canola oil over medium heat 2 minutes. Add half of the pork and half of the red onion. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until meat is browned and crisp on edges and onion is just tender, using a large spatula to turn meat and onion mixture once halfway through cooking. (Avoid stirring the mixture constantly or meat will not brown well.) Using a slotted spoon, remove meat and onion from oil; keep warm. Repeat with remaining meat and onion. If necessary, add additional oil for the second batch. Continue as directed in Step 3.
Tomato-Avocado Salsa - Low-Carb/Atkins
- Remove 1/2 teaspoons zest and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice from lime. In a bowl combine zest, juice, and remaining ingredients.
Nutrition Facts (Slow-Cooked Pork Carnitas)
- Per serving:
- 261 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 90 mg chol. ,
- 593 mg sodium ,
- 8 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 30 g pro.