Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- Prepare Pastry Topper or allow refrigerated pie crust to stand according to package directions; set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron or other heavy oven-going skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and sweet pepper; cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Gradually stir in broth and half-and-half. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken and peas. Remove from heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry topper or refrigerated pie crust into a 13-inch circle. Using a sharp knife, cut slits in pastry to allow steam to escape, or, if desired, use a small cookie cutter to cut shapes from pastry.
- Carefully place pastry circle over mixture in skillet, letting edges of pastry drape over the sides*. In a small bowl beat together egg and water. Brush pastry with some of the beaten egg. If using, place pastry cutouts on top of pastry and brush with beaten egg.
- Place skillet in oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
If using refrigerated pie crust, place the pastry over the mixture in the skillet, flute the edges of the pastry to the inside of the skillet. You can also use this method with the Pastry Topper, if desired.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Cover and chill until ready to use.
Nutrition Facts (Skillet Chicken Pot Pie)
- Per serving:
- 537 kcal ,
- 31 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 109 mg chol. ,
- 657 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 25 g pro.