Skillet Bacon-Cheddar Potato Dip
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a covered large saucepan cook potatoes in enough boiling, lightly salted to cover for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon; reserve 1 tablespoon of the crumbled bacon for topping.
- In a large bowl combine remaining crumbled bacon, cream cheese, 3/4 cup of the cheddar cheese, the sour cream, green onions, and garlic salt. Press cooked potatoes through a ricer* onto the cheese mixture; stir gently to combine. Spoon potato mixture into a seasoned or generously greased 8- to 9-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 160 degrees F. Remove from the oven.
- Preheat broiler. Top potato mixture with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and reserved 1 tablespoon crumbled bacon. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve dip with potato chips.
From the Test Kitchen
Bacon-Blue Cheese Potato Dip:
Prepare as directed, except substitute 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (3 ounces) for the cheddar cheese in the potato mixture and substitute 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (1 ounce) for the cheddar cheese in the topping. Serve with barbecue-flavor potato chips or celery sticks.
Nutrition Analysis: 77 calories, 3 g protein, 6 g carbohydrate, 4 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 3% Vitamin A, 10% Vitamin C, 164 mg sodium, 4% calcium, 2% iron
If you don't have a potato ricer, mash potatoes with a potato masher until fluffy.
Slow Cooker Directions:
Prepare potato mixture as directed through Step 3, except spoon mixture into a 1 1/2- or 2-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 2 hours or until heated through (160 degrees F). Top with remaining cheese and reserved bacon. Serve with potato chips.
Nutrition Facts (Skillet Bacon-Cheddar Potato Dip)
- Per serving:
- 79 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 127 mg sodium ,
- 6 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.