Silky Chocolate Pie
- For yogurt cheese, line a yogurt strainer, sieve, or a small colander with three layers of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth or a clean paper coffee filter. Suspend lined strainer over a large bowl. Spoon yogurt into the strainer. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill for 24 hours. Discard liquid. You should have 2 to 2 1/2 cups yogurt cheese. Set yogurt cheese aside.
- In a small saucepan sprinkle gelatin over the milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Heat and stir milk mixture over low heat just until gelatin is dissolved. Gradually whisk in cream cheese until melted. Add chocolate; heat and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; cool for 15 minutes.
- Stir about one-fourth of the yogurt cheese or Greek yogurt into the chocolate mixture until smooth. Fold in the remaining yogurt cheese or Greek yogurt. Spread mixture evenly in the pie shell.
- Cover pie loosely; chill for 3 to 24 hours before serving. Cut into wedges to serve. If desired, top each serving with dessert topping and chocolate curls.
From the Test Kitchen
Be sure to use a brand of yogurt that contains no gums, gelatin, or fillers. These ingredients may prevent the whey from separating from the curd to make the yogurt cheese.
If you use Greek yogurt, omit Step 1.
Nutrition Facts (Silky Chocolate Pie)
- Per serving:
- 235 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 9 mg chol. ,
- 140 mg sodium ,
- 31 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 23 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.