Sicilian Potato and Green Bean Salad
- Finely shred peel from lemon; measure 2 teaspoons lemon peel. Juice lemon; measure 3 tablespoons juice. Set aside. In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine potatoes and enough salted water to cover. Bring to boiling over high heat; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender, adding green beans for the last 4 minutes of cooking. Drain. Let stand at room temperature about 1 hour or until cool.
- For the dressing, in a screw-top jar combine oil, the 2 teaspoons lemon peel, the 3 tablespoons lemon juice, the capers, anchovies, garlic, and the 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cover and shake well.
- In a large bowl toss potatoes with half of the dressing. Add eggs, tomatoes, olives, basil, and the remaining dressing; toss gently to coat. Season to taste with salt and additional black pepper.
From the Test Kitchen
Sicilian Potato and Green Bean Salad with Tuna:
Prepare Sicilian Potato and Green Bean Salad, except add one 7-ounce can tuna, drained, and 1/4 cup sliced green onions (2) to the cooked and cooled potato-bean mixture.
Nutrition per serving: 216 calories, 11 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate, 12 g total fat, (2 g sat. fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 11% Vitamin A, 29% Vitamin C, 373 mg sodium, 4% calcium, 10% iron
Nutrition Facts (Sicilian Potato and Green Bean Salad)
- Per serving:
- 186 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 48 mg chol. ,
- 289 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.