Shrimp-Stuffed Hatch Chiles with Cilantro Cream Sauce
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp. Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Chop shrimp.
- For filling, in a large skillet heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add shrimp, sweet pepper, corn, wine, and chili powder; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Stir in cheeses, egg, salt, and black pepper; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Cut a slit lengthwise down one side of each chile pepper; open chile peppers and lay flat. If desired, remove stems and seeds from chile peppers. Spoon 1/2 cup of the filling onto each chile pepper (filling will be wet). Fold up peppers around filling and place, filling sides up, in prepared dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned and filling is heated through (160 degrees F). Let peppers stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve chile peppers with Cilantro Cream Sauce and, if desired, garnish with cilantro sprigs.
From the Test Kitchen
If Hatch chiles are not available, use Anaheim chiles, which are similar in size and shape.
Cilantro Cream Sauce
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add minced garlic; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in all-purpose flour until smooth. Add whipping cream and milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in snipped fresh cilantro and salt and pepper to taste. Makes 1-1/4 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Shrimp-Stuffed Hatch Chiles with Cilantro Cream Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 623 kcal ,
- 52 g fat
- (30 g sat. fat ,
- 251 mg chol. ,
- 618 mg sodium ,
- 18 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 23 g pro.