Shrimp-Olive Skewers with Orange-Fennel Salad
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact if desired. Rinse shrimp.
- Stir together baking soda and 1 quart water in a large bowl. Add shrimp and soak for 10 minutes; pat dry with paper towels. Cover and chill until needed.
- On 6 12- to 15-inch skewers* alternately thread 4 shrimp and 4 olives, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces. Brush lightly with oil; sprinkle with additional salt and pepper. Brush fennel wedges lightly with oil; sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.
- On a charcoal grill, place fennel wedges on the rack of the uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 10 to 12 minutes or just until fennel is tender, turning once halfway through grilling. Add shrimp skewers to the grill for the last 5 to 8 minutes of grilling or until shrimp are opaque, turning once.
- If desired, garnish shrimp skewers, and fennel wedges with additional tarragon. Serve shrimp and fennel with one or more Easy Make-Ahead Dipping Sauces.
From the Test Kitchen
Easy Make-Ahead Dipping Sauces
Orange Compote: Place 1 navel orange, quartered, in a food processor. Cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a saucepan; stir in 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. cool over medium-low heat about 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl.
Red Pepper Dip: In a blender or food processor, combine 2 roasted red sweet peppers, 1 8-ounce carton sour cream, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Cover and process until mixture is coarsely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl.
Mexican Cocktail sauce: Stir together 1/2 cup chili sauce, 1/2 cup purchases salsa, juice of one lime, and 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
Nutrition Facts (Shrimp-Olive Skewers with Orange-Fennel Salad)
- Per serving:
- 240 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 71 mg chol. ,
- 884 mg sodium ,
- 39 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 28 g sugar ,
- 10 g pro.