Shrimp Ceviche Tostada with Fennel and Grapefruit
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. In a large saucepan bring water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add shrimp. Simmer, uncovered, 1 to 2 minutes or until shrimp turns opaque, stirring occasionally. Rinse under cold running water; drain. Transfer shrimp to a large bowl. Immediately add the orange juice and lime juice.
- Stir in the sliced fennel, red onion, grapefruit, orange, fennel fronds, and chile. Cover and chill for 2 to 4 hours. Season to taste with salt before serving.
- In another bowl use a fork to mash the avocados; season to taste with salt and hot sauce.
- To assemble tostadas, spread the shells with a layer of avocado mixture. Top with lettuce and ceviche; garnish with pepitas and additional fennel fronds.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Toast tostada shells, if necessary.
Nutrition Facts (Shrimp Ceviche Tostada with Fennel and Grapefruit)
- Per serving:
- 316 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 95 mg chol. ,
- 739 mg sodium ,
- 28 g carb. ,
- 8 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 17 g pro.