Shrimp and Quinoa Salad
- Thaw shrimp if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact if desired. Rinse shrimp and pat dry with paper towels. Thread shrimp on four 8-inch skewers.* For a charcoal or gas grill, grill skewers on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until shrimp are opaque, turning once halfway through grilling.**
- Meanwhile, rinse quinoa; drain. In a medium saucepan bring 2 cups water to boiling. Add quinoa. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Finely shred 1 teaspoon peel from 1 orange; set aside. Using a paring knife, cut remaining peel and white pith from oranges; discard. Holding an orange over a very large bowl to catch juices, cut segments from orange (set segments aside). Squeeze juice from membranes into bowl. Repeat with remaining orange. Stir in finely shredded orange peel, balsamic vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Add shrimp, quinoa, and spinach; toss gently toss to combine.
- To serve, divide salad among four shallow bowls or dinner plates. Arrange orange segments evenly on top.
From the Test Kitchen
If using wooden skewers, soak them in enough water to cover for at least 30 minutes before using.
To use a grill pan, lightly brush olive oil over grill pan. Preheat over medium-high heat. Add skewers; cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until shrimp are opaque, turning once halfway through cooking.
Nutrition Facts (Shrimp and Quinoa Salad)
- Per serving:
- 281 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 119 mg chol. ,
- 263 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 11 g sugar ,
- 22 g pro.