Sherried Cherry Crisp
- Soak the dried cherries in sherry for 30 minutes. If using frozen cherries, let cherries thaw for 30 to 45 minutes or until partially thawed. Meanwhile, lightly grease a 1 1/2-quart baking dish or deep-dish pie plate.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove 1 teaspoon zest and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice (if using frozen cherries) or 4 tablespoons juice (if using fresh cherries) from orange. In a medium bowl combine zest and juice, the fresh or thawed frozen cherries, granulated sugar, and flour. Stir in dried cherries with sherry. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- For topping, in a large bowl combine the 3/4 cup flour, the oats, brown sugar, and salt. Sprinkle with vanilla. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the cherry mixture.
- Bake about 50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
You will need 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds of fresh cherries to get 4 cups pitted cherries.
If using fresh cherries use 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour and 1/4 cup orange juice. If using frozen cherries, use 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 2 tablespoons orange juice.
Nutrition Facts (Sherried Cherry Crisp)
- Per serving:
- 427 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 27 mg chol. ,
- 295 mg sodium ,
- 78 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 52 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.