Vegetable-Topped Mussels with Chardonnay Cream
For herbed bread crumbs:
- In a bowl combine bread crumbs, 4 teaspoons of the olive oil, snipped thyme, and parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add zucchini, mushrooms, red or yellow sweet pepper, and leek. Cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender. Remove vegetables from pan.
- Add wine, shallot, bay leaf, thyme sprig, and garlic to pan. Bring to boiling. Add mussels; return to boiling. Cook, covered, until mussels open, about 5 to 9 minutes. Remove mussels, discarding any unopened shells. Strain the remaining liquid and return to pan. Bring to boiling. Stir in curry powder and ground red pepper. Boil gently, uncovered, until mixture is reduced by half (about 2/3 cup).
- Meanwhile, pull shells apart. Using a sharp knife, cut mussel loose, but do not remove from bottom shell. Discard empty shells. Place remaining mussel shells onto a 15 x10 x1-inch baking pan. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the vegetables over each mussel and top with about 2 teaspoons of the herbed bread crumbs. Reserve remaining vegetables.
- When liquid has reduced, add the cream and boil gently, uncovered, for 5 minutes more. Stir in remaining cooked vegetable mixture. Heat through.
- Preheat oven to 425 degree F. Just before serving, roast mussels for 15 minutes or until heated through and bread crumbs are golden brown. Spoon some of the hot vegetable mixture onto the bottom of 8 shallow soup plates. Top each serving with 2 mussels. Serve with toasted baguette slices. Makes 8 appetizer servings.
From the Test Kitchen
*To Clean Mussels:
Scrub mussels under cold running water. Remove beards. In an 8-quart Dutch oven combine 4 quarts cold water and 1/3 cup salt; add mussels. Soak for 15 minutes; drain and rinse. Discard water. Repeat soaking, draining, and rinsing twice.
Nutrition Facts (Vegetable-Topped Mussels with Chardonnay Cream)
- Per serving:
- 346 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 46 mg chol. ,
- 806 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 23 g pro.