- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, removing tails. Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook onion, celery, sweet pepper, and garlic in butter over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in undrained tomatoes, paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 8 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir shrimp and parsley into tomato mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque. Seaston to taste. Serve over rice.
- Makes 4 servings
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except substitute 12 ounces fresh or frozen skinless, firm-fleshed fish fillets (such as catfish, cod, or grouper) for the shrimp. Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish and cut into 1-inch pieces. Add fish to tomato mixture with parsley. Cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes or until fish begins to flake when tested with a fork.
Per 1 cup fish mixture + 1/2 cup rice: 269 cal., 7 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 52 mg chol., 418 mg sodium, 31 g carbo., 2 g dietary fiber, 18 g protein.
Daily Values: 14% vit. A, 55% vit. C, 8% calcium, 7% iron.
Exchanges: 1 Vegetable, 1 1/2 Starch, 2 Very Lean Meat, 1 Fat
Nutrition Facts (Shrimp Creole)
- Per serving:
- 290 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 145 mg chol. ,
- 498 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 21 g pro.