Shanghai Shrimp and Scallop Stir-Fry
- Thaw shrimp and scallops, if frozen. Cut any large scallops in half. In a medium bowl stir together shrimp, scallops, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sherry, and 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Drain shrimp and scallops, reserving marinade.
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together 3 tablespoons soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, 2 tablespoons sherry, 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, sesame oil, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, and reserved marinade. Set aside.
- Pour cooking oil into a wok or large skillet. (Add more cooking oil as necessary during cooking.) Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry garlic in hot oil for 15 seconds. Add carrots; stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove carrots from the wok.
- Add half of the shrimp and half of the scallops to the hot wok. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp and scallops turn opaque. Remove shrimp and scallops from the wok. Repeat with remaining shrimp and scallops. Return all shrimp and scallops to the wok. Push shrimp and scallops from the center of the wok.
- Stir sauce. Add sauce to the center of the wok. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Return carrots to the wok. Add green onions. Stir all ingredients together to coat with sauce. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes more or until heated through. Serve immediately over hot cooked rice. Sprinkle with additional crushed red pepper, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare vegetables; cover and chill up to 4 hours before cooking.
Nutrition Facts (Shanghai Shrimp and Scallop Stir-Fry)
- Per serving:
- 306 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 104 mg chol. ,
- 1237 mg sodium ,
- 40 g carb. ,
- 21 g pro.