Scallops with Garlicky Tomatillo Salsa
- Soak bamboo skewers in enough water to cover for 1 hour. Rinse scallops with cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Thread 4 of the scallops onto 2 skewers** that are parallel to each other, leaving 1/4 inch between each scallop. Repeat with remaining scallops and skewers to get 4 sets of skewered scallops. Brush scallops with olive oil and sprinkle with ancho chile pepper and smoked paprika. Place on a tray; cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender combine tomatillos, onion, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, lime juice, garlic, cumin, and salt. Cover and process or blend until consistency of a chunky sauce.
- For a charcoal grill, place scallops on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals for 2 to 3 minutes or until scallops are opaque, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium-high. Place scallops on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- To serve, spoon salsa onto serving plates. Top with skewers and sprinkle with cheese. Makes 4 main-dish or 8 appetizer servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Because hot chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with chiles as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the chiles, wash your hands well with soap and water.
Threading the scallops onto 2 skewers helps keep them from rolling around and falling off the skewers when grilled.
Nutrition Facts (Scallops with Garlicky Tomatillo Salsa)
- Per serving:
- 303 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 100 mg chol. ,
- 1228 mg sodium ,
- 11 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 43 g pro.