Malaysian Prawns and Shrimp
- Thaw prawns and/or shrimp, if frozen. Remove and discard the heads, if desired; set aside the prawns and shrimp.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan combine peanut butter, margarine or butter, and lemon juice or vinegar. Bring just to boiling; reduce heat. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes. (The mixture should be thick.) Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in coconut milk and bottled hot pepper sauce. Remove half of the sauce to use as a dipping sauce; set aside. Stir soy sauce into mixture in saucepan.
- On short skewers*, loosely thread prawns or shrimp; arrange in a single layer on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Brush soy sauce mixture onto prawns or shrimp. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Broil skewered prawns 3 inches from the heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until flesh turns pink, turning once.
- Arrange skewered prawns or shrimp in a serving bowl lined with Ti leaves, if desired. Garnish with lemon and lime wedges, if desired. Stir reserved sauce; pass with seafood. Makes 24 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If using wood skewers, first soak them in water for 30 minutes to prevent burning while broiling.
Nutrition Facts (Malaysian Prawns and Shrimp)
- Per serving:
- 95 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 70 mg chol. ,
- 163 mg sodium ,
- 2 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 9 g pro.