Grilled Salmon with Citrus Salsa
- Thaw fish if frozen. Cut into six serving-size portions. Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels. In a small bowl stir together sugar, orange peel, salt, and pepper. Place salmon pieces, skin sides down, in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle sugar mixture onto salmon pieces; rub in with your fingers. Cover and chill for 8 to 24 hours.
- Coat an unheated grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Drain salmon, discarding liquid. Place salmon pieces, skin sides down, on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 14 to 18 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place salmon pieces, skin sides down, on grill rack over burner that is off. Grill as above.)
- If desired, carefully slip a metal spatula between fish and skin; lift fish up and away from skin. Discard skin. Serve fish with Citrus Salsa.
From the Test Kitchen
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare fish through step 1 above. Bake, uncovered, about 15 to 18 minutes or until fish flakes when tested with a fork. Serve fish with Citrus Salad.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
- In a small bowl combine orange peel, oranges, pineapple, cilantro, green onion and jalapeno chile pepper.* Cover and chill until ready to serve or for up to 24 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Salmon with Citrus Salsa)
- Per serving:
- 261 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 66 mg chol. ,
- 360 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 11 g sugar ,
- 23 g pro.