Florida Crab Cakes
- Thaw crab, if frozen; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine egg, 1/4 cup of the fine dry bread crumbs, the finely chopped green onions, the 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing, 1 tablespoon parsley, thyme, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Add crab; mix well. Shape crab mixture into four 3/4 -inch-thick patties.
- In a small bowl combine remaining fine dry bread crumbs and cornmeal. Coat patties with cornmeal mixture.
- In a large skillet heat the cooking oil; add crab cakes. Cook over medium heat about 3 minutes on each side or until crab cakes are golden and heated through, adding additional oil, if necessary.
- For tartar sauce, in a small bowl stir together the 1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing, chopped dill pickle or sweet pickle relish, 1 tablespoon sliced green onion, 1 tablespoon parsley, the pimiento, and lemon juice. Serve crab cakes on a bed of salad greens and top with tartar sauce, if desired. Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and shape crab cakes but do not coat with cornmeal. Cover and chill up to 4 hours. Coat, cook, and serve as above. Prepare sauce; cover and chill up to 24 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Florida Crab Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 259 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 100 mg chol. ,
- 401 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 13 g pro.