Camarao con Coco
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp. Rinse; pat dry with paper towels. In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, lime juice, and half of the finely chopped chile pepper, and half of the garlic; add salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat. Cover and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- For sauce, in a medium skillet, cook sweet pepper, onion, remaining chile pepper, and remaining garlic in hot oil over medium heat about 10 minutes or until tender. Add tomato, coconut milk, and tomato paste. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Season to taste with salt. Set aside and keep warm.
- Thread shrimp onto four long metal skewers.** For a charcoal grill, grill skewers on the greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 5 to 8 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place skewers on greased grill rack over heat. Cover; grill as above.)
- Transfer the sauce to a platter or gout dinner plates and place shrimp skewers on top. Sprinkle with snipped parsley. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Because hot chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with chiles as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the chile peppers, wash your hands well with soap and water.
Or use wooden skewers that have been soaked in water for at least 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts (Camarao con Coco)
- Per serving:
- 195 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 129 mg chol. ,
- 327 mg sodium ,
- 6 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 19 g pro.