Brandade over Smashed Potatoes and Parsnips with Poached Eggs
- If using salt cod, in a medium bowl, combine salt cod and enough water to cover. Cover and soak in the refrigerator for 48 hours, changing the water two or three times. Rinse and drain cod. If using fresh cod, omit the soaking step.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Fill an extra-large skillet half full of water. Bring to boiling. Add cod; reduce heat. Simmer gently, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Drain and cool slightly. Remove skin (if present) and bones; break cod into large pieces.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Set skillet aside. Crumble bacon; set bacon aside. In a covered large saucepan, cook potatoes and parsnips in enough boiling salted water to cover about 20 minutes or until tender; drain. Return to pan. Add milk, butter, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper; coarsely mash with a potato masher. Stir in crumbled bacon. Transfer mixture to an ungreased 3-quart rectangular baking dish; cover and keep warm.
- Add shallots and garlic to the reserved bacon drippings; cook until tender. Stir in cream; bring just to boiling.
- In a food processor, combine cooked cod, cream mixture, lemon peel, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper. Cover and process until nearly smooth. Season with additional salt, if necessary. Spread cod mixture over potato mixture.
- Using the bottom of a ladle or glass, make six deep indentations in ingredients in dish. Crack an egg into each indentation. Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until egg whites are set and yolks start to thicken but are not hard. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed through Step 5. Cover with foil and chill for up to 2 days. To serve, bake, covered, in a 425 degree F oven about 25 minutes or just until heated through. Make indentations and add eggs as directed. Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes more or until egg whites are set and yolks start to thicken but are not hard. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Brandade over Smashed Potatoes and Parsnips with Poached Eggs)
- Per serving:
- 605 kcal ,
- 36 g fat
- (19 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 363 mg chol. ,
- 471 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 40 g pro.