Scallops with Garlicky Tomatillo Salsa
- If using wooden skewers, soak skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. Thaw scallops, if frozen. Rinse scallops; pat dry with paper towels. Thread four scallops onto two 10-inch skewers* that are parallel to each other, leaving 1/4 inch between scallops. Repeat with the remaining scallops and skewers to get four sets of skewers; place on a tray. Brush scallops with olive oil and sprinkle evenly with ancho chile pepper and smoked paprika. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for salsa, in a food processor or blender combine tomatillos, onion, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, lime juice, garlic, cumin, and salt. Cover and process or blend until the consistency of a chunky sauce. Set aside.
- For a charcoal grill, grill scallops on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium-hot coals for 2 to 3 minutes or until scallops are opaque, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium-high. Place scallops on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as directed.)
- To serve, spoon salsa onto serving plates. Top with skewers and sprinkle with cheese.
From the Test Kitchen
Threading the scallops onto two skewers helps keep them from rotating and falling off the skewers when grilled.
Nutrition Facts (Scallops with Garlicky Tomatillo Salsa)
- Per serving:
- 303 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 100 mg chol. ,
- 1228 mg sodium ,
- 11 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 43 g pro.