Sausage Dinner Hoagies
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Using a serrated knife, slice off top 1/4 inch of rolls. With fingers, remove most of the bread inside, making "boats" to hold sausage and dressing. (Reserve removed bread for another use, such as making bread crumbs.) Brush insides of rolls and undersides of tops with melted butter. Arrange on an ungreased baking sheet, cut sides up; set aside.
- For flavored mayonnaise, in a small bowl mix together 4 tsp. of the jalapenos, a pinch of salt, and the cayenne pepper. Add juice from haf the lime. Whisk in mayonnaise; set aside.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Loosely pinch off 1 to 1-1/2 inches by 1/2 inch chunks of sausage (about 24 pieces). Cook in hot skillet in a single layer with space between for 10 to 12 minutes, until well-browned and cooked through, turning once to brown evenly.
- While sausage is cooking, place buttered bread boats in oven for 5 to 8 minutes, until golden brown and crusty.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine remaining minced jalapenos and shredded cabbage. Add a pinch of kosher salt and juice from remaining half lime; toss to combine. Spoon a generous tablespoonful of flavored mayonnaise in the bottom of each boat. Divide browned sausage, hot from skillet, among boats. Top with shredded cabbage. Generously spread cut sides of roll tops with remaining mayonnaise. Place on sandwiches. Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
* When working with fresh chiles, wear rubber or disposable plastic gloves or cover your hands with small plastic bags.
** In some areas, these varieties are sold as links. If so, remove from casing before cooking.
Nutrition Facts (Sausage Dinner Hoagies)
- Per serving:
- 950 kcal ,
- 71 g fat
- (23 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 21 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 119 mg chol. ,
- 1638 mg sodium ,
- 54 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 24 g pro.