Zesty Barbecue Sauce
- Wash tomatoes. Remove stem ends and cores. Cut tomatoes into quarters.
- Place tomatoes in a 10- to 12-quart Dutch oven or kettle. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Add onion, celery, peppers, and garlic. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Press tomato mixture through a food mill. Discard seeds and peels. Measure 19 cups. Return tomatoes to kettle and simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until mixture is reduced by half, stirring occasionally. (Measure the depth with a ruler at the start. At the finish, the depth should be half of the original measure.)
- Stir in vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, salt, mustard, and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over medium to low heat, stirring frequently, for 1 hour or until desired thickness.
- Immediately ladle the hot sauce into hot, clean half-pint canning jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace*. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids. Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 20 minutes (start timing when water returns to boil). Remove the jars from canner; cool on racks.
From the Test Kitchen
To freeze rather than process this well-seasoned sauce, first set the kettle in ice water to cool. Then ladle sauce into wide-top freezer containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal, label, and freeze.
Nutrition Facts (Zesty Barbecue Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 38 kcal ,
- 142 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g pro.