Pollo con Chile Rojo
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large oven proof skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in ancho chili powder, paprika, and cumin; cook and stir for 1 minute more (if necessary, reduce heat to prevent spices from burning).
- Add tomato sauce, broth, and oregano to skillet; bring mixture to boiling. Sprinkle salt and pepper on all sides of chicken; nestle chicken in the tomato mixture. Cover skillet with lid; place skillet in the oven.
- Bake chicken about 40 minutes or until tender, turning chicken pieces once halfway through baking time. Remove chicken from tomato mixture; set aside to cool slightly.
- Place skillet with tomato mixture on range top over medium heat. Simmer tomato mixture, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally (mixture may spatter as it thickens; reduce heat as necessary). Remove pan from heat.
- Cut chicken into bite-size strips. Return chicken to tomato mixture, stirring to coat.
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
If you prefer, use skinless, boneless chicken breasts instead of thighs. Halve each breast half and decrease the baking time to about 30 minutes or bake chicken until tender.
Nutrition Facts (Pollo con Chile Rojo)
- Per serving:
- 150 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 54 mg chol. ,
- 564 mg sodium ,
- 7 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 15 g pro.