Ham and Cheese Spiral
- In a medium mixing bowl combine 1-1/4 cups of the bread or all-purpose flour, the yeast, brown sugar, caraway seed, onion, and salt. Add the 1 cup water and the oil to the dry mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the rye flour into the beaten mixture. Stir in as much of the remaining bread or all-purpose flour as you can with the wooden spoon. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of the dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place for 45 to 60 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Place ham slices atop the dough, overlapping as necessary, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge of the dough. Spread mustard over the ham. Sprinkle with cheese. Roll up; moisten edge and seal seams and ends. Place loaf, seam side down, on prepared cookie sheet. Cut several shallow diagonal slashes across top of loaf. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (about 20 minutes). In a small bowl stir together egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water; brush over loaf. Sprinkle with additional caraway seed.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve warm. Makes 1 loaf (12 appetizer servings).
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare, shape and roll up as directed; transfer loaf to greased cookie sheet. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill 2 to 24 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Remove plastic wrap and bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Ham and Cheese Spiral)
- Per serving:
- 143 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 25 mg chol. ,
- 421 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 5 g pro.