Salted Pecan Bourbon Pumpkin Pie
- Prepare Baked Piecrust; set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl combine pumpkin, 1/2 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in eggs until combined. Stir in half-and-half, bourbon, and vanilla until combined. Carefully pour pumpkin mixture into pastry shell. Bake for 40 minutes or until edges are beginning to puff and center is almost set, covering edge of crust with foil, if necessary, to prevent overbrowning.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine molasses, butter, and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Stir in pecans. Gently spoon pecan mixture over top of pie. Place a foil-lined baking sheet on the rack below pie. Bake for 15 minutes more or until center is set. Sprinkle top with sea salt and cool completely. Chill within 2 hours. Serve topped with Bourbon Whipped Cream, if desired.
From the Test Kitchen
Bourbon Whipped Cream:
In a chilled bowl beat together 1 cup whipping cream, 1 tablespoon bourbon, and 2 teaspoons granulated sugar until soft peaks form.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, and salt. Use a pastry blender to cut in butter and shortening until pea-sized. Add 1 tablespoon water over a portion of the flour mixture, tossing gently with a fork. Move moistened dough to the side of the bowl and continue with remaining water until all dough is moistened. Knead together dough in about 6 to 8 strokes until it holds together. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 13-inch circle. Fold dough into quarters and transfer to a 9-inch pie plate with point in the center; unfold. Trim edges of pastry about 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold the extra pastry under itself to form the edge.
- Crimp edge of pie crust as desired. Poke sides and bottom of crust with a fork. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil and weight the dough with pie weights or dried beans. Bake crust for 10 to 12 minutes or until dry and set. Carefully remove foil and weights and bake another 3 to 4 minutes or until very lightly brown. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts (Salted Pecan Bourbon Pumpkin Pie)
- Per serving:
- 433 kcal ,
- 26 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 102 mg chol. ,
- 482 mg sodium ,
- 44 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 25 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.
Michelle Trombetta 812 Days Ago
This was terrible, made two of them for a party and ended up throwing most of it in the trash. It wasn't sweet enough, the pecans were almost bitter from an over powering amount of molasses.
Maria Thompson 955 Days Ago
Very disappointing recipe. The pumpkin part of the pie was fine. While the pecan-molasses-flaked salt toppinglooked terrific, the taste was blah and, to me, ruined the pie. I felt like I would have been better off with a plainpumpkin pie. I would not make this recipe again.