Salted Caramel Pots de Creme
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place eight 4-ounce pots de creme pots, ramekins, or 6-ounce custard cups in a large roasting pan; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine sugar, the water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Using a soft pastry brush dipped in water, brush down any sugar crystals on sides of pan. Bring mixture to boiling over medium-high heat. Boil gently, without stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture turns an amber color. Remove from heat.
- Whisking constantly, carefully add whipping cream and milk to sugar mixture in a slow stream (mixture will steam and sugar will harden). Return to heat. Cook and whisk about 2 minutes more or until sugar is dissolved.
- In a large bowl whisk egg yolks until light and foamy. Slowly whisk cream mixture into beaten egg yolks. Pour mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a 4-cup glass measuring cup with a pouring spout. Divide mixture among pots de creme pots.
- Add enough hot water to the roasting pan to come halfway up sides of pots de creme pots. Carefully place pan on oven rack. Bake about 40 minutes or until edges of custards are set but centers jiggle slightly when shaken. Transfer pots de creme pots to wire racks; cool for 30 minutes. Cover and chill for 4 hours.
- Before serving, sprinkle custards with fleur de sel.
From the Test Kitchen
To Make Ahead:
Prepare as directed through Step 5, except cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Salted Caramel Pots de Creme)
- Per serving:
- 327 kcal ,
- 21 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 221 mg chol. ,
- 302 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 32 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.
Jane Swinton 1681 Days Ago