Salted Caramel-Ginger Macarons
- Line three large cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together almonds, powdered sugar, and ginger; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine egg whites, vanilla, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Gradually add granulated sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed just until soft peaks form (tips curl). Stir in nut mixture and food coloring.
- Spoon mixture into a large decorating bag fitted with a large (about 1/2-inch) round tip.* Pipe 1-1/2-inch circles 1 inch apart onto the prepared cookie sheets. Let stand for 30 minutes before baking.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool on cookie sheets on wire racks. Carefully peel cookies off parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan combine caramels and cream; heat and stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Spread caramel mixture on bottoms of half of the cookies; immediately after spreading, sprinkle each with a little coarse sea salt. Top with the remaining cookies, bottom sides down.
From the Test Kitchen
If you don't have a decorating bag, spoon mixture into a large resealable plastic bag and snip a 1/2-inch hole in one corner of the bag.
Layer unfilled cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies, if frozen. Fill as directed in Step 5.
Nutrition Facts (Salted Caramel-Ginger Macarons)
- Per serving:
- 85 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 1 mg chol. ,
- 40 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 10 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.