Salt and Pink Peppercorn Caramels
- Line an 8x8x2-inch or 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil. Set aside.
- In a 3-quart heavy saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add brown sugar, half-and-half, and corn syrup; mix well. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan. Reduce heat to medium. Continue boiling mixture at a moderate, steady rate, stirring frequently, until the thermometer registers 248 degrees F, firm-ball stage (40 to 50 minutes). Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a steady boil.
- Remove saucepan from heat; remove thermometer. Stir in vanilla. Quickly pour mixture into prepared pan. Cool 10 to 12 minutes; sprinkle with salt and pepper.* When firm, use foil to lift candy out of pan. Use a buttered knife to cut into 2x1/2-inch pieces.** Wrap each caramel in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Store up to 2 weeks.
From the Test Kitchen
Mix the salt and pepper or sprinkle one side with salt and the other with pepper.
If desired, for easier slicing, freeze caramel for 10 minutes or until just firm. Cut as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Salt and Pink Peppercorn Caramels )
- Per serving:
- 70 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 10 mg chol. ,
- 40 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 0 g pro.