- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Let piecrusts stand at room temperature according to package directions.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and sweet peppers; cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in flour, thyme, salt, and cayenne pepper. Add broth and milk all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salmon, frozen peas, and, if desired, parsley.
- Divide salmon mixture among six individual baking dishes, such as 10- to 14-ounce au gratin dishes or ramekins. Unroll piecrusts onto a lightly floured surface. Roll each piecrust into a 13-inch circle. Using a fluted cutter, cut six circles or ovals 1 inch larger than the top of the dishes.
- Place piecrust over hot salmon mixture in each dish. Brush piecrust with egg.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until crusts are golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with fresh thyme sprigs.
From the Test Kitchen
Deep-Dish Salmon Potpie
Prepare as directed, except use half of a 15-ounce package rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrusts (1 crust). Unroll piecrust onto a lightly floured surface. Cut into a 9-inch square. Pour hot salmon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish. Immediately place piecrust over salmon mixture. Brush with egg. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Salmon Potpie)
- Per serving:
- 483 kcal ,
- 26 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 141 mg chol. ,
- 704 mg sodium ,
- 37 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 25 g pro.