Tuna and Marjoram Bean Salad with Anchovy and Caper Vinaigrette
- Rinse dried beans, if using. In a Dutch oven combine beans and 8 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 1 hour. (Or place beans in water in Dutch oven. Cover and let soak in a cool place for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.) Drain and rinse beans. Return beans to Dutch oven. Stir in 8 cups fresh water; add 12 cup marjoram sprigs and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 2 hours or until tender. Drain, discarding marjoram sprigs. Cool slightly.
- Toss cooked beans with 4 tablespoons of the olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Cover; set aside. (If using canned beans, in a saucepan stir together beans, 4 tablespoons olive oil, 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons snipped fresh marjoram, and salt and pepper to taste. Heat through over medium heat; cover and keep warm.)
- In a small bowl mash anchovy fillets with a fork. Add parsley, capers, garlic, and mustard; mix thoroughly. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice. Add the 1/4 cup olive oil, whisking to combine ingredients. Season to taste with salt. Set aside.
- Brush the tuna and onion slices with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Grill fish and onion on rack of uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 4 minutes. Turn and grill 4 to 5 minutes more or until tuna is slightly pink in center and onion is tender. (Or arrange the tuna and onion on unheated rack of broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat for 10 minutes or until tuna is slightly pink in center and onion is tender, turning once).
- To serve, spoon beans onto 6 serving plates. Drizzle beans with remaining 4 tablespoons lemon juice. Place a fish fillet on each plate. Drizzle each serving with anchovy mixture. Serve with red onion slices. Sprinkle with additional marjoram sprigs. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
Skinless salmon fillets can be used in place of tuna steaks. Salmon will be done when it flakes easily with a fork.
Nutrition Facts (Tuna and Marjoram Bean Salad with Anchovy and Caper Vinaigrette)
- Per serving:
- 603 kcal ,
- 25 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 17 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 52 mg chol. ,
- 734 mg sodium ,
- 53 g carb. ,
- 16 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 44 g pro.